You are here

Student Benefits

UA South proudly serves its Veteran, Active Duty, Reservist and Dependent Students

The University of Arizona South is committed to adhering to and promoting Principles of Excellence when serving active duty servicemembers, veterans, spouses and other family members.

All military students may submit a complaint to the VA if you feel that UA South is failing to follow the Principles of Excellence as defined by President Obama's Executive Order 13607 signed on April 27, 2012.

For more information or to file a complaint please click here.

If you have never used VA education benefits at any institution of higher education, you must complete the appropriate application form, available here.

VA Educational Benefits you might qualify for:

  • Post-9/11 GI Bill® (Chapter 33)
  • Montgomery GI Bill® "MGIB" (Chapter 30)*
  • Montgomery GI Bill® - Selected Reserve (Chapter 1606)
  • Post-Vietnam Era Veterans' Educational Assistance Program "VEAP" (Chapter 32)
  • Survivors and Dependents Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 35)

*Note: Guard and Reserve members activated under Title 10 U.S.C. and who have served on active duty continuously for 24 months may qualify for Chapter 30 Active Duty benefits.

As an active duty U.S. service member in the Air Force, Army, Navy Marines, or Coast Guard National Guard National Guard and Reserve, you may be eligible for Tuition Assistance (TA) from the Department of Defense for up to $250 per unit.  In our efforts to continuously provide the best educational experience to our Active Duty Service Members, effective Fall 2018, in any University of Arizona bachelors program, we’ll honor that TA. That’s right: Students with approved TA will be charged only $250 per unit!

To qualify for TA:

  1. Speak with your local Military Branch Education Center to ensure your eligibility for TA (see links below)
  2. Follow their specific instructions to request TA for your branch of service. Also, please note the timeframe in which you are able to request your TA.
  3. The UA Tuition Assistance Office will then notify you when your TA request has been process and applied to your account.

*Small note: Tuition Assistance only applies towards base tuition costs.  All other mandatory fees, program fees, and course fees will be the responsibility of the student. TA may also have an impact on other forms of financial aid, including University tuition scholarships, qualified tuition reduction and Title IV Federal Financial Aid. 

To learn more about Tuition Assistance click HERE.

For more information on your branch of service’s TA go to:

The Tutorial Assistance Program is available to students receiving VA educational assistance at half-time or greater. Up to $1200 is available to help you pay for necessary tutoring. If you would like to request tutorial assistance, please come to the Military and Veterans Services Office, Sierra Vista Campus - Groth Hall Rm. 107, or contact Clara Gonzalez.

You can also receive free tutoring services through partnerships with Cochise College and the UA Think Tank.

The Department of Defense (DoD) Voluntary Education Program is offering a pilot program that provides online tutoring to DoD Service members at no cost. Service members can connect to a live tutor online at any time for one-to-one anonymous help with homework, test preparation, proofreading and more. The program was established to help ensure Service members have the necessary tools and resources to reach their higher learning and professional development goals. The program provides tutoring services with background-checked experts able to help with more than 40 college subjects, to include English, Algebra, Statistics, Physics, Accounting, History, Physiology and World Languages, in addition to writing projects such as research papers and creative essays. For more information, and to enroll please go to

"GI Bill®" is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. Government website at