You are here
Students covered under the Post 9/11 GI Bill® will need to have a rate of pursuit of 51% or higher in order to start receiving a housing allowance. The rate of pursuit is determined by dividing the number of credits a student is taking by the number of credits the school considers full-time.
Payment rates for all other chapters are determined by the number of credits in which they are enrolled.
The VA calculates the training time rates based on the list below.
- Full Time: 12+ credits
- 3/4 Time: 9 - 11 credits
- 1/2 Time: 6 - 8 credits
- Less than 1/2 Time: 4 - 5 credits
- 1/4 Time: 1 - 3 credits
- Full Time: 9+ credits (see advisor for exceptions)
- 1/2 Time: 5 - 8 credits
- Less than 1/2 Time: 1 - 4 credits
Variable Week Sessions
Full-time Undergraduate Enrollment Information for GI Bill® Users
Fall & Winter 2019
|16 Week Fall||Aug 26 - Dec 19||12+||9-11||6-8||1-5|
|5 Week I||Aug 26 - Sep 27||4+||3||2||1|
|5 Week 2||Sep 30 - Nov 1||4+||3||2||1|
|5 Week 3||Nov 4 - Dec 19||5+||4||3||2|
|7 Week 1||Aug 26 - Oct 16||5+||4||3||2|
|7 Week 2||Oct 17 - Dec 19||6+||5||3-4||2|
|8 Week 1||Aug 26 - Oct 27||6+||5||3-4||2|
|8 Week 2||Oct 28 - Dec 22||6+||4-5||3||2|
|Winter||Dec 23 - Jan 14||2+||N/A||1||N/A|
- Summer (May 13 - Jun 1): 2 units needed for full time enrollment, 1 unit for 3/4 time
- 5W1 (Jun 3 - Jul 3): 3+ units needed for full time enrollment, 2 units for 3/4 time
- 5W2 (Jul 8 - Aug 7): 3+ units needed for full time enrollment, 2 units for 3/4 time
- 7W1 (May 13 - Jun 28): 5+ units needed for full time enrollment, 4 units for 3/4 time
- 7W2 (Jul 1 - Aug 16): 5+ units needed for full time enrollment, 4 units for 3/4 time
- 10 Week (Jun 3 - Aug 7): 6+ units needed for full time enrollment, 5 units for 3/4 time
- 13 Week (May 13 - Aug 7): 8+ units needed for full time enrollment, 7 units for 3/4 time
The GI Bill® will cover students having to attend a secondary school to fulfill degree requirements of their primary school. By completing a Concurrent Enrollment Form (also known as a Parent Authorization Letter) and forwarding it to the primary school's academic advisor, students will ensure continuation of coverage during the semester.
Students using the GI Bill® may qualify to defer their tuition/fees payment every semester. To learn if you qualify please contact Clara Gonzalez.
For more information on deferments, see the Bursar's Office Deferment Policy.
If you are considering participating in a study abroad program make sure you fully understand what the VA will and will not pay for. There are additional steps you must take in order to receive educational benefits from the VA for study abroad courses. For up-to-date information on this benefit, visit the .
Additionally, students must fill out the “Approval for Global Studies/Study Abroad Credit” PRIOR to registering in the class. You may access the form by visiting the UA South Study Abroad Checklist. This form must be completed by the student, signed by the student’s academic advisor and UA South Certifying Official.
"GI Bill®" is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. Government website at http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill